Sunday 7 November 2010

Two Chocolate Pots

A few days ago I sat down for breakfast quite late and managed to watch the BBC show Under the Hammer. Its a morning program that follows individuals as they purchase properties at auction and then renovate them, sometimes restoring them to their old glamour.

It was a joy to see the show again because Helena used to love watching this program when we were in Brussels. We would discuss what we thought about the renovations, and Helena would always talk about how she would decorate her home in the future. She had so many different ideas; all of them full of a glamorous yet understated taste that only she could imagine.

When we moved to the English countryside in May Helena and I discovered this adorable little antique shop in the city of Rye. The town is full of them but this one has a particular charm about it. It is just full of sweet little treasures that tell stories of families past. It doesn't have the arrogant air of some antique shops, but instead offers you pretty things that may not be worth much to collectors but may still make your home unique.

On our first visit to the shop Helena found these two adorable little pots decorated with delicate flower wreaths, framed by a gold and pistachio lining. She fell in love with them instantly and purchased them with delight from the very sweet old man who owns the shop. He told us the they were hot chocolate pots from the 1920's and that the porcelain maker was reputable. Helena knew them by name of course.

Helena's Wilkinson Ltd chocolate pots

When we got back to the cottage Helena pulled out the little pots and told me her vision for her new room in London. Its colour scheme was going to be pistachio, gold and mahogany, and she quickly picked out what basic things she needed from the IKEA catalogue. But she was firm that we had to go back to the antique shop and find more little gems that would work with her newly inspired theme. And we did. On days that she was in a lot of pain and there was little I could do to cheer her up, I would drive her to the antique shop and we would delight in new treasures.

It is still a great sadness to me that Helena never got to move into our house here in London and decorate it. After all our little talks day dreaming about it I feel I know what it would have looked like, but I also know she would have added many beautiful personal touches, ones I could never imagine.

3 comments:

  1. John Cawdron Antiques on Market Rd in Rye, go check it out. Just be careful on the day you go, the man is closed Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely. I love the colors too and I am sure the room would have been delightful. I am inspired to check this shop out when I am next over there! Thank you for sharing, Annika xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena was always so fashionable and I can just picture how beautiful her pistachio room would be. It would be just as beautiful as her. So glad you have those beautiful chocolate pots to remind you of her and her exquisite style.

    ReplyDelete