Sunday 21 November 2010

Guest Post: Mia Christenson

For those of you who don’t know me I am Helena’s best friend from High School in France.  Already as a seventeen year old she seemed wordly, filled with ambition and effervescent joy.  It clicked between us right away.  We were placed in bedrooms next to each other for two years and our friendship lasted ever since then.

Last November I made a dear visit to Brussels, like so many of you. I remember clearly the morning Helena said at breakfast that if it was to be her last Christmas she wanted to decide how and with whom it would be celebrated!  We smiled at each other despite what she was insinuating.  Because the way she did it, with her back straight, her head held high and with a determined gaze, was like any other day when Helena’s will was demonstrated.  It was effective, wonderfully and typically Helena.  It has become a natural manner that I have acquired over the last thirteen years.  My mother will at times laugh and say “now, Mia you look just like Helena!”

Helena, Mia, Anne & Cecilia during breakfast at Place Stephanie

I laugh often at our crazy adventures, and remember also less happy times that we have shared together.  Today, with a huge sense of loss and with tears of joy I am thankful that I participated in Helena’s life.
Love Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment