Thursday 1 September 2011

A project in memory of Helena

Health Research in Jeopardy from Annika Ostman on Vimeo.

For the past year I have been pursuing an MA degree in broadcast journalism at City University, and as a final requirement for our degree we have to produce a short news documentary. I decided early on that I wanted to do something in honour of Helena. It wasn't easy to focus on a subject so close to my heart but I also wanted to do something that I could feel Helena would be proud of.

The report was produced, written, filmed and edited by me, but a special thanks must be mentioned to Cecilia Ostman and Mimi Flemming who helped me with the filming for a few of the interviews. Please read the short blurb below and then press the play button on the screen above to view the report. Let me know what you think!

Cancer patients miss out on new trials due to excessive regulation

A new medical trial for a vaccine which treats pancreatic cancer has been launched in the UK. This form of cancer has the lowest survival rate of all common cancers. The trial will recruit almost a hundred patients in the UK. But researchers say thousands of cancer patients are missing out on these kinds of new trials due to excessive regulation.

Reporter, Annika Ostman, has been looking at what’s going on
.

6 comments:

  1. Such a beautifully shot and produced piece, thank you for sharing it with all of us! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredibly poignant, moving and informative piece. Thank you for providing unique reporting on new cancer trials and U.K. regulations. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annika - BRAVO! This was a wonderful piece and I watched it with tears in my eyes. It is documentaries like this that will change the fate of terminally ill pancreatic cancer patients. Helena would be so proud of you. I surely am. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work Annika! Very touching, but still brough out the facts effectively. Congratulations! lots of love from Helsinki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece Annika; very interesting and informative...but also very sweet. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annika that was so moving,beautifully put together,very well done! I am certain that Helena is so very proud of you highlighting this issue,lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete