Thursday 16 December 2010

Brugse Zot

Last night I went to a Belgian restaurant in London called Belgo that serves mussels, fries, and a plethora of Belgian beers. As I was looking over the menu of dozens of beers I suddenly saw a name I recognised. Where had I seen it before? 

Then I remembered, Brugse Zot is brewery in Bruges that we  visited a little less than a year ago. The memories came rushing back of a magical day Helena, Cecilia, Josh, TAB and I spent in the beautiful town of Bruges just after New Years. We took the train from Brussels and spent the whole day together, touring the town where Helena had spent a year doing her masters.

We took a carriage ride through the quaint medieval town, walked among the chocolate and lace shops, and took a tour of the Brugse Zot brewery. Although it was meant to be an English tour, the old lady spoke an interesting blend of Flemish with a few English words thrown in. We laughed and giggled our way through the brewery, and were happily meet by a pint of Brugse Zot at the end of the tour.

Enjoying our Brugse Zot

One of the things I remember most though is Helena and her unbridled joyfulness. She relished every moment, sitting proudly in the carriage, strutting down the cobble stone streets in her UGG boots, giddily chewing chocolates and sipping that delicious beer. Oh, how I miss her joy and sudden bursts of silliness! A few more pictures from the day......

Striking a silly pose !
Cuddling up on the carriage ride
All smiles on the main square

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Helena's silly pose;) She was just so beautiful and so fun!

    ReplyDelete